Friday, June 17, 2005

072 - Ziemnielei


Pass. I'm not a particularly talented linguist at the best of times, but I'm bloomin' useless at even attempting a translation if I don't know what language it is in the first place! Fortunately Maria has stepped into the breech with an amazing bit of investigative work.

She emailed to say: 'I recognize some words on it as Russian but written in English. Item number four on the list is parsley, sixth one is 1 tomato and eighth is 1 sour cream. Down the bottom somewhere we also have bread. Unfortunately i can't make out the rest.' Don't worry, Maria, you should be more than happy with that contribution to the Compendium. Gold star!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recognized "smetana" (item 8 from the top) and hence am convinced that it is a Czechian (?spelling?) list. Smetana is not only a composer's name but means "cream". Item no. 10 is simply spaghetti. It could also be Polish, but I doubt it's Russian. They would use Russian letters, especially since it is not for public viewing.

I enjoyed the pages, will look at abandoned lists with different eyes!

Anonymous said...

It's polish.

potatoes
fennel
carrots
parsley
4 onions
1 tomato
2 cucumbers
1 sour cream
1 chives / spring onion
1 little wing (??)
spaghetti sauce
5 [don't know] apples
2 [illegible]
1 bread
then mainly illegible, but 1 butter at the bottom, I think.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid Maria should have her gold star revoked! That ain't Russian, it's Polish:

1. potatoes
2. cabbage
3. carrot
4. parsley
5. 4 onions
6. 1 tomato
7. 2 cucumbers
8. 1 x sour cream
9. 1 bunch of chives
10. 1 chicken wing
11. spaghetti sauce
12. 5 apples
13. 2 rolls
14. 1 loaf of bread
15 1 big butter
16. 1 regular butter

Regards,

Rob (with help from Bogda)