Friday, September 16, 2005

Accessory to Murder

This is quite chilling. Jim recently found a collection of old forensic science journals from the 1950s, one of which featured the case of John George Haigh, otherwise known as The Acid Bath Vampire.

Excitingly for the Compendium, it turns out that one of the key pieces of evidence in the case against Haigh was a shopping list found in his hotel room. Although quite hard to make out from the scan, it features a range of items including:
  • H2SO4 (Sulphuric Acid)
  • Gloves
  • Apron
  • Rags

So, shopping lists have a sinister side...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet idea, put personally I wouldn't spend my time analysing shopping lists it's quite fun to read though, perhaps I will write a shopping list and leave it somewhere for you to find?!?!?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

How did you come up with such a bizarre idea? How long do you normally spend analysing each shopping list? I personally wouldn't bother, although it is funny.

Scotty said...

The idea came when I was walking home from the supermarket. I saw a list a thought "I'll have that". It's not the most exciting story ever, but it's true.

As for how long I spend sorting each one, it takes about 1 minute to scan and crop the list and 3-4 mins to write the comment. Then I just upload them to the web and I'm done. Barely any time, really.

It probably takes just as long to click onto the site and read through them!

Thanks for stopping by :)